Friday, March 27, 2009

Friday Finds No.6-Massmans

I can hardly believe how fast time flies! it's been a busy week and it's already late on Friday-but these shops are worth the wait! Please take a look at their wonderful shops and be sure to leave them some encouragement in the comments! The first shop I wan to feature this week is massmans. I love then way someone can bring out the beauty of the woods. I think it's a rare talent and this shop brings out some of the best in it! Artist’s Statement I was first introduced to woodturning in a high school woodworking class. I rediscovered woodturning in 2006 and haven’t looked back since. I am largely self-taught—though I am an avid follower of woodturning newsgroups and magazines. I am a proud member of The American Association of Woodturners and the International Association of Penturners. I have been lucky enough to attend seminars at a national symposium where I was inspired by some of the great woodturners of our time. Woodturning is addictive to me largely because I can literally save a log from being turned into wood chips or firewood and give it new life as a unique piece of art. I love to take a raw piece of wood and make something functional or artistic out of it. As I start cutting the wood on the lathe, different kinds of grain patterns and features emerge, and I try to enhance those features in order to make the most beautiful object I can. I take an environmental approach in my woodturning by using reclaimed wood rather than cutting down trees to make art. Most of my wood is native to Missouri and is obtained at mulch sites or by word of mouth. Many of the trees have been damaged by disease or weather. Some of my most meaningful pieces start when someone’s favorite tree has been downed by weather or disease. I have the honor of being asked to make something out of the tree. It is a true joy to know that these pieces help trigger fond memories of beloved trees. This Cherry Bowl is my favorite item in his shop. Other links: My main website where everything is posted. http://www.massmans.org My blog http://massmans.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment