Monday, March 7, 2011

It's time for Paczki! Polish jelly filled doughnut recipe


What Mardi Gras. In the Polish tradition of Fat Tuesday, we enjoy eating Paczki or Polish jelly filled doughnuts. The Lenten tradition of fasting called for using up the lard, sugar, eggs and fruit that you had in your home. My Aunt Sophie and grandmother, Babcia, would make these delicious filled doughnuts. Certainly a treat you waited for once a year! This recipe comes from my brothers collection of family recipes. I hope you enjoy it!

1 package dry yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 whole egg plus 3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups flour
1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam

Optional: 1/4 cup white raisins

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and egg yolks. Add the yeast mixture, vanilla, orange rind and salt. Gradually add flour, and optional raisins, blend until well mixed.Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Cover, and set aside in warm area until the dough has doubled in size. On floured board roll out until about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into circles with a glass or biscuit cutter. Place a spoonful of raspberry jam at the center of each circle, fold in half, pinching closed sealing in the jam. Roll into ball shape. Fry in hot oil (350 degrees) or shortening until golden brown. Transfer to paper towels, to absorb excess oil. When cool, dust lightly with powdered sugar.  Note: for a lighter texture, the filled and formed paczki can be set aside to rise again slightly before frying.

You can also fill the paczki after frying with a cake decorating tipped bag. Try lemon curd, custard, or even prune filling for a change! Whatever filling you choose enjoy these treats today!

3 comments:

  1. I have heard these are really good... I saw a parsnip curd recipe on twitter that I have been wanting to try too... maybe I will put the two of them together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look "SO DELICIOUS"... I've been watching them popping up everywhere, EVEN on the news! I would LOVE to try one, BUT I'm going to "Make Sure" I get it from an authentic Polish Bakery...YUMMY!
    Thank you for sharing your recipe,
    I was just at your brothers blog and copied his Banana Pie recipe too!!!
    Have a wonderful week,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's a fabulous cook! His pies have won many awards. I don't know when he has all the time to do all the baking he does!

    ReplyDelete