Sunday, June 6, 2010

My Sea/Beach Glass collecting trip to the Lake Erie Shore

I've always loved the water. Growing up  and living in Michigan means that you're never more than about  an hour from one of the Great Lakes. I can remember combing the beaches for all sorts of treasures-but it wasn't until I was an adult that I first found a piece of beach glass. I had collected a few jars full-and then used them to line a fish tank. But I never thought to use them in jewelry until recently. Now I've become almost obsessed with finding these jewels.

After a bit of research, I decided to set off to Ohio, on the the southern shores of Lake Erie near Cleveland to look for some glass. I found another collector who offered a collecting trip and off I went! A three hour trip from my home I set off at 3 am to go on my venture. I met up with out host Jen Morrow and three others and off we went!

We hit a couple of great beaches  near Cleveland and this is some of what I found:

I was really excited about my collecting trip...after only about 5 minutes I found this rare treasure:
I was really happy to find this marble!

When I sorted through my pieces of glass I found these pieces of patterned  glass:
 You have to look closely-but those pieces in the center have patterns! I also found a few pieces of pottery:
Not too bad for a few hours of searching. Now I can't wait to go back. Here's one of the pieces that I turned into a  wire wrapped pendant:

The trip was wonderful, the new friends I met were great. If you're ever in the Cleveland area I highly recommend  looking up GenuineBeachGlass.com.
Jen and her husband Don are talented artisans whose work is certainly worth taking a look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment